Saturday 26 May 2012

Divergent Review


Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Published: May 3rd 2011
487 Pages

In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.
-Amazon


 Review

Divergent! I loved this book! I mean how can you not? It was action packed, with a female butt kicking heroine. It was fantastic!

Divergent is set in the future where there are four factions: Abnegation (selflessness), Dauntless (bravery), Candor (honesty) Amity (Peacefulness) and Erudite (Intelligence). When you turn 16 you must with go a test, to see what faction you should be in. Tris chooses to leave her faction, Abnegation, and chooses Dauntless instead. And that’s really where they story takes off.

Let’s start with the idea of the story. I absolutely loved it, having to decide which faction to live in your entire laugh, only at the age of sixteen.  I didn’t really like that we didn’t get to know much about why there are the factions, or what happened previously for this to happen in the first place.

Now the characters. First you have Tris, the main character. I liked her, but I didn’t particularly love her. I liked the fact she was brave and solid and stuck up for the people she loved and the things she loved. Then there’s Four. Four, I’ll admit, is definitely a literary crush of mine. He doesn’t act soft around Tris. He acts strong and brave. He doesn’t look down on Tris, he knows that she can look after herself and he respects that (honestly I don’t think I’m doing him any justice here, but take my word for it, he’s swoon worthy).

Okay so now to the things I like about the book overall:
  • ·         I loved the idea of these five factions. I think it’s really creative and I’ve never read anything like it.
  • ·         Veronica Roth’s writing style, it was absolutely amazing! She is such a talented writer and she’s so young.
  • ·         Definitely lived up to my expectation of the book. I thought it was going to be just a very advertised book that wasn’t actually any good, but I’ll happily admit that I was wrong.
  • ·         I love the villains in this book.  They were so awesomely evil ;).

Okay so the things I didn’t like too much.
  • ·         I didn’t like how I didn’t know much about the history of the factions. I would’ve liked to know how they started, and why the city is like this in the first place.
  • ·         I would’ve also liked to learn more about The Marsh. Why is it empty? Why?

Overall I loved this book. It was amazing and it sucked me in. I mean I finished it in three days! Which I don’t know if that’s long for you guys, but that is amazingly quick to me, considering it took me like a week to read Catching Fire. Really when I think about it the things that bothered me didn’t really matter, I loved this book and I’m hoping that the sequel will answer my unanswered questions.
Overall I give it:
5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment